TMJ Jaw Treatment
Holistic Dentistry recognizes the fact that there is a very delicate harmonious relationship between the teeth, facial muscles, and the temporomandibular joint. When this relationship is altered by injury or an improper bite relationship,the resulting painful syndrome known as TMJ(Temporamandibular Joint Dysfunction) arises.
Early Diagnosis and treatment is essential for avoiding more serious consequences. The following questions are useful in identifying jaw joint disorders
- Do you have difficulty or pain when opening your mouth?
- Does your jaw feel stiff,tight, or tired?
- Do you have difficulty or pain when chewing?
- Does your jaw shift when you open?
- Has your jaw ever become "stuck" in either the open or closed position?
- Are you aware of any changes in your bite?
- Do you have"clicking" or "popping" in either jaw joint?
- Do you have pain in your temple,face, or ear?
- Do your ears "ring", "buzz" ,or hurt?
- Do you have frequent headaches or facial pain?
- Do you have morning headaches?
- Are you tired even though you slept through the night?
- Do you clench or grind your teeth during the day or night?
- Have you sought treatment for headaches or TMJ disorders?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, an evaluation may be in order.
Early treatment options may include: adjustment of the occlusion(bite), jaw repositioning with the May Appliance, physical therapy and treatment with medication.
Initial treatment objectives are designed to reduce muscle spasm,swelling in the joint,and restore a more harmonious relationship between the teeth, facial muscles, and the temporomandibular joint.
We now offer snore guards, mouthguards and football guards. For more information, please call our office at 530.541.3772.